At Hareside Primary School, we recognise and value the importance of Science in every aspect of daily life. As a core subject, we give the teaching and learning of Science the prominence it requires, laying strong foundations in EYFS and building on these up until Year 6. Their science education forms an important entitlement for all of them. It is our intention to provide a high-quality science education that builds connected knowledge and key skills through concepts, deeper/blended learning and a hands-on, investigatory approach to teaching. We follow the current 2014 National Curriculum for Science, which aims to ensure all children:
- develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
- are equipped with scientific skills required to understand the uses and implications of science today and for the future.
Throughout their time at Hareside Primary, we develop children who are inquisitive and our curriculum fosters a healthy curiosity in children about our universe, promoting respect for the living and non-living. Throughout the programmes of study, the children acquire and develop key knowledge (substantive knowledge) that has been identified within each unit and across each year group, as well as the application of scientific skills (disciplinary knowledge). These are very clearly set out in our science curriculum overview and are enhanced by vocabulary lists for each unit. This curriculum overview is reviewed annually. In each classroom, science is displayed to promote their current unit of learning. All KS1 and KS2 classes use dual objective planning which we believe is crucial to developing their substantive and disciplinary knowledge.
A successful scientist at Hareside Primary School:
- has an enquiring, inquisitive mind
- can provide reasons for their thinking, using appropriate vocabulary
- has a good level of resilience, linking very closely to our school values
- has an enthusiasm for finding out more.
Our science curriculum
Click here to see our science curriculum